Wednesday, August 26, 2009

76 year old woman kidnapped and held for 2 months released after family refuse to pay ransom

Mrs. Ibiwari Brown was kidnapped and held captive for two months in Rivers state, Nigeria. She has finally set free after her family persistently refused to pay the 38 million naira ransom demanded by the kidnappers.

The 76 year old woman was kidnapped on June 18, 2009 from her home. She managed to escape from her kidnappers on August 2, 2009, but she was recaptured at a fishing town where she was looking for help.

Mrs. Brown's son, Chief Aroloyoteim Brown released this statement about his mother's experience to the media:

"Two months after, the kidnappers resorted to torturing this old woman. She was flogged several times like a common criminal. From June 18 to August 22, she had no water to bath.

"Her room was her toilet and she was fed with Indomie once a day. The ration was not enough to feed a three-year-old child. The treatment became worse when they realized that they had 'invested in a bad market'. The food ration changed and mama cried and begged them for food".

"when food was no more available to her, she would bless the glass of water given to her before drinking it. That served as food and her hunger will be satisfied.

"Being frustrated, mama attempted to escape from these men on August 2, 2009 at about 10:00pm. She went to a nearby fishing settlement and asked to see the head of the settlement but no one was willing to assist.

"She was recaptured by the morning of August 3, 2009 and taken back to the camp. They agreed that she will be killed and so she was moved to their shrine and they hit her face hard with the palm.

"She was then blindfolded and they were ready to kill her when suddenly my call went through to them and they suspended the action. At that time ,she was already on the ground in front of the shrine as a sacrificial animal, almost dead.

"They then called back and told me that she was dead and gave me the option of coming to carry her corpse or permitting her burial. When they went back few hours later perhaps to bury her, she was found alive and crying like a baby. She was taken back to her room and permanently locked up.

"On Friday 21st, they decided to set mama free. On their way, the speed boat had an accident. It was in the night. She was left in the mangrove till the 22nd. She was moved from there to a fishing settlement at a place called 'Namasibi' around the New Calabar River".


Related stories: Nollywood star Pete Edochie Kidnapped

American doctor Kidnapped in Nigeria sympathizes with his abductors

Canadian Kidnapped

No comments:

Post a Comment