Friday, August 21, 2026

Boat capsizes in northwestern Nigeria, leaving dozens of people dead

A boat capsized Thursday in a river in Nigeria ’s northwestern Sokoto state, leaving at least 47 people dead, officials and residents said.

The boat was carrying more than 80 people, most of whom were heading to farms for work in Gorau town in the Goronyo local government area of the state, officials said.

Abdulkadir Yusuf, Sokoto state manager at the National Inland Waterways Authority, said the death toll was 47 people “so far.”

Resident Samaila Garba, 55, said his 13-year-old granddaughter, Jamila Usman, was among those who died in the capsizing. He said he had counted at least 42 bodies of victims, most of them women and children. “You know, during the rainy season, most women and children go to the farm to work,” he told The Associated Press.

Another resident, Aminu Dan Hajiya, said he goes to his farm using the same waterway and he considers himself lucky to not have been on the boat. “In fact, almost every household in the community has been affected,” he said.

Usman Yusuf, a community leader in Gorau, said more than 80 passengers had boarded the boat. He said 41 people have been buried so far.

Deadly boat accidents are common in Nigeria, especially during the rainy season. A lack of enforcement of safety regulations allows faulty boats without life jackets to operate in the country. In January, at least 25 people were killed in Yobe state in a similar accident.

By Mohammed Ibrahim, AP 


‘Over 400 Killed in 6 Months’: The Sorry Cases of Boat Mishaps in Nigeria

Families protest in Nigeria over children abducted nearly 100 days ago

 

Parents of children abducted from Nigeria's northeastern Borno state protested in Uba town on Thursday, demanding the federal government ‌secure their release nearly 100 days after they were taken.

The children ‌were seized from their classrooms on May 15 in Mussa, a community on the fringes of ​the Sambisa Forest, a long-time stronghold of Islamist militants.

The protest underscored families' frustration as kidnappings persist despite years of military operations against Boko Haram and its Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) offshoot in northeastern Nigeria. While the insurgency has weakened since its ‌peak, both groups continue to ⁠stage attacks on civilians, schools and security forces across Borno and neighbouring states.

The abduction was followed by another attack in nearby ⁠Lassa on June 29, where 36 students and a teacher also remain captive. Last month, authorities secured the release of schoolchildren abducted by gunmen from schools in southwest ​Oyo ​state after nearly two months in captivity.


'WE ​WORRY EVERY DAY'

A police spokesperson said ‌the military is "on top of the situation" but declined further comment, directing enquiries to the military. A spokesperson for the military did not respond to requests for comment.

"We still have not seen them," said Chinda Buba, whose child was among those abducted. "We do not know where our children are. We don't know whether ‌they are healthy or going through difficult ​conditions."

Peace Nicolos, whose two children, aged 3-1/2 and ​8-1/2, are among the missing, ​said families lived in constant anxiety.

"We worry every day and ‌struggle to eat," she said. "We are pleading ​with the government ​to rescue them."

Orbet Lawan Yakubu, representing the traditional ruler of Mussa, said around 45 children remained unaccounted for.

"There is nothing more painful than separating ​very young children from their ‌parents," he said. "The entire community is affected because almost every family ​is connected to those who were taken."

By Ahmed Kingimi, Reuters

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Nigeria faces $159m humanitarian funding gap as needs worsen

The United Nations has warned that hundreds of thousands of vulnerable Nigerians could be left without life-saving assistance as the country’s humanitarian response faces a $159 million funding gap for the remainder of 2026.

The warning was issued in a statement on Wednesday by the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mohamed Malick Fall, as the world marked World Humanitarian Day.

“Nigeria’s already hyper prioritised Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan still faces a $159 million funding gap for the remainder of the year, meaning that hundreds of thousands of people risk missing out on the lifesaving support they need,” he said.

Fall said millions of Nigerians are confronting worsening food insecurity, malnutrition and disease outbreaks, particularly during the current lean and rainy seasons, while humanitarian organisations are struggling with dwindling resources.

“Behind every statistic is a family struggling to survive, a child battling malnutrition, a mother seeking treatment for cholera, or a community trying to rebuild after years of crisis. On this World Humanitarian Day, let us #ActForHumanity and reaffirm our shared responsibility to protect those supporting the most vulnerable,” he added.

The Humanitarian Coordinator made the disclosure after leading members of the United Nations and Humanitarian Country Teams on a visit to nutrition and cholera treatment centres in Maiduguri, Borno State.

“I met humanitarian workers who continue to serve communities with extraordinary courage, dedication and compassion despite difficult and often dangerous conditions. We call for greater protection for these brave personnel so that they can do their critical work in safety,” he said.

According to Fall, the humanitarian response in the region reached almost 900,000 people in the first half of 2026, despite declining funding, as he said that the joint response has so far treated more than 55,000 cholera patients, while hygiene promotion activities have reached over one million people.

“Together, the government, health workers and humanitarian partners have treated more than 55,000 cholera patients, providing hygiene promotion services to over one million people and chlorinating in excess of 500 water points, giving communities access to safe drinking water. This collective work has helped drive the cholera case fatality rate down below emergency levels,” he said.

Fall, however, warned that humanitarian workers and critical infrastructure must be protected as the crisis continues.

“Humanitarian workers are not targets. hospitals, treatment centres, relief supplies, assistance convoys and civilian infrastructure must be protected,” he said, stressing that international humanitarian law must be respected by all parties at all times.

He added that when aid workers cannot safely reach communities, vulnerable women, men and children bear the consequences.

He disclosed that $135.5 million has already been distributed in 2026 through the Nigeria Humanitarian Fund and the Central Emergency Response Fund to respond to humanitarian emergencies, noting that additional funding was urgently required, with Nigeria’s already prioritised Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan still facing a $159 million shortfall.

The funding crisis comes amid a broader decline in international humanitarian financing, with the UN warning that current funding levels are only a fraction of what was available a few years ago.

He urged international donors, the Nigerian government, civil society organisations and the private sector to increase support to humanitarian operations, particularly as the country prepares to move towards a more locally led humanitarian response in 2027.

The ICIR reports that the World Humanitarian Day is observed annually on August 19 to honour humanitarian workers and raise awareness of the risks they face while providing life-saving assistance to people affected by conflict, disasters, disease outbreaks and other crises, highlighting the rights, dignity and survival of people caught up in humanitarian emergencies.

By Nanji Nandang, ICIR

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

As campaigns begin in Nigeria, Tinubu's re-election bid puts his party on trial

As campaigning for January's elections begins on Wednesday, President Bola Tinubu's pitch for a second term faces a politically fraught question: are Nigerians better off after more than a decade of rule by his ​All Progressives Congress?

The answer could shape the presidential contest against former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi, who have built their appeal on widespread frustration over economic hardship ‌and insecurity.
The main challengers argue the APC's nearly 12 years in power have left Africa's most populous country poorer, more indebted and no safer than when the party swept into office in 2015, then under the leadership of Muhammadu Buhari.


NEARLY 80% SAY NIGERIA HEADING IN WRONG DIRECTION

For Tinubu, nicknamed "T-Pain" by many Nigerians grappling with soaring living costs, the election will test whether voters are willing to endure short-term pain for the promise of longer-term gains.
So far, many appear unconvinced.
"The APC's tenure ​from 2015 to 2026 makes for unhappy reading and Tinubu's reforms have particularly brought severe pain," Cheta Nwanze, a partner at Nigeria-based risk advisory SBM Intelligence, said.

"Our voter tracker shows nearly ​80% of Nigerians say the country is headed in the wrong direction with 45% citing economic hardship and insecurity as their top concern."

Few Nigerian presidents have ⁠moved as quickly on economic policy as Tinubu. He scrapped a costly decades-old fuel subsidy and twice devalued the naira.

The reforms delivered changes long sought by investors and international lenders, but also unleashed a ​shock across households, fuelling protests and what many Nigerians describe as the worst cost-of-living crisis in a generation.

Tinubu has defended the measures as necessary to unwind years of state intervention. His government cites higher revenues and ​stronger investor interest as signs the reforms are working.
"Since 2023, our reforms have restored stability and credibility to economic management," he said during a recent broadcast.

Many voters, however, judge the economy less by macroeconomic gains than by the cost of putting food on the table.


'I USED TO SELL SIX GOATS A DAY'

At Abuja's Garki market, butcher Abdullahi Sani said soaring costs had crushed demand.

"Five years ago, I used to sell six goats a day. Now I struggle to sell two, ​sometimes just one," he told Reuters. "It is difficult to make a profit and feed my family."

The gap between improving economic indicators and worsening household finances is likely to define the campaign.

Tinubu's challenge is compounded ​by the risk that voters will not only judge him on his own record. They will also be looking back at his predecessor's legacy.

He inherited an economy moulded by Buhari, whom he helped propel to power. Buhari's interventionist agenda ‌included import ⁠curbs, currency controls, border closures and a fuel subsidy that cost the government $10 billion in 2022 alone.

"The inequality gap between the haves and those that do not have is increasing," Sulaimon Arigbadu, executive secretary of HEDA Resource Centre, said.

Living standards have also deteriorated. GDP per capita fell 53% to $1,224 currently from $2,586 in 2015, World Bank data show, highlighting a decade-long erosion of household prosperity.

The legacy is evident in Nigeria's swelling debt burden which rose more than 12-fold to 159.35 trillion naira ($117.34 billion) by March 2026 from 12.6 trillion naira at end-2015, official data shows.

Debt-service costs are forecast at $11.6 billion this year, almost half of projected revenue and more ​than twice the 2025 bill of $5.15 billion.

If the economy ​is Tinubu's biggest hurdle, security could prove ⁠his most damaging liability.
The government says military operations have curbed attacks, made roads safer and allowed more farmers to return to their fields.


ELECTION ABOUT SURVIVAL, SECURITY AND FOOD

Yet violence remains widespread. Amnesty International says at least 10,217 people have been killed by armed groups and around 15 mass abductions of schoolchildren have been ​recorded since Tinubu took office.
Critics say threats have evolved rather than receded, with banditry widespread in the northwest, separatist unrest in the southeast and kidnappings for ​ransom now pervasive.

"For ordinary Nigerians, ⁠this election is fundamentally about survival, security ... whether families can afford food, whether farmers can safely return to their farms," Auwal Musa Rafsanjani, head of CISLAC/Transparency International Nigeria, said.

The APC swept to power more than a decade ago pledging to defeat Islamist insurgents, curb corruption, and revive an economy hit by low oil prices. Instead, Nigeria slipped into its first recession in 25 years under Buhari, while inflation hit record highs above 33% and growth remained ⁠sluggish.

Tinubu enters ​the election campaign weighed down by his record and his party's, with the opposition arguing that after more than a decade ​in power, only results now matter.

For many voters, the election may hinge on whether life is safer and more affordable now than when the APC first promised change in 2015.

"The data tells us the odds are against Tinubu and the only way back ​is low voter turnout on election day," Nwanze said. "However, the opposition remains disunited, which historically have favoured the incumbent."

By Elisha Bala-Gbogbo and Camillus Eboh, Reuters

Meta Unveils AI Academy Nigeria with $10,000 Funding for Two Startups

Meta has launched the Meta AI Academy Nigeria, a national initiative aimed at supporting Nigerian startups developing artificial intelligence-powered solutions.

The programme is being delivered in collaboration with Nigeria’s 3 Million Technical Talent (3MTT) programme, the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (NCAIR) under the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, and Robotics and Artificial Intelligence Nigeria (RAIN).

As part of the initiative, Nigerian startups building with AI are being invited to submit their solutions for consideration and pitching.

The top 10 submissions will be selected to pitch their solutions live at GITEX Nigeria on September 3, 2026.

Following the pitch competition, two winning startups will each receive $5,000 in cash funding, Meta advertising credits and an all-expenses-paid opportunity to compete against startups from Africa, the Middle East and Türkiye at the AI Summit by Meta in Istanbul in November 2026.

The initiative is positioned to provide Nigerian AI startups with funding, visibility and opportunities to connect with a wider regional and international innovation ecosystem.