Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Man sets family on fire

Independence Day shocker - An independence day tragedy occurred in Enugu, capital of the south east Enugu State, on Saturday as a middle aged man burnt members of his family, including his pregnant wife and two sons, aged between two and three years, according local news reports.

The youngest son of the family, who went into coma following injuries sustained in the inferno, was later revived at the National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu, two hours after the incident, which occurred in the afternoon, while the wife, identified as Njideka, and the first son are now on the danger list at the hospital.

The reports said the man, Alexander Ndubuisi Egeonu, who is now at large, had, on arrival at his container shop in a suburb of Enugu, where he sells musical records and Compact Discs, asked his wife to escort him to the gas station to buy fuel.

Thinking that the fuel was meant for their generator, the wife willingly complied.

But shortly after returning to the shop, Egeonu went to a neighbour’s shop and began to drag the owner (a woman) to his own shop, claiming that she was indebted to him.

The woman began to shout and attracted neighbours and passers-by, who promptly rescued her from the man, said to be very troublesome.

“Immediately the man returned to his shop, he tied the hands of his wife and poured fuel on the floor. He, thereafter, locked the wife and his two sons inside the container and set the container ablaze through the window,” the reports quoted eyewitnesses as saying.

The pregnant woman and her two sons were severely burnt before neighbours forced the container open and brought them out. They were rushed to the Eastern Nigeria Medical Centre for treatment.

The pregnant woman and her first son, said to be in critical condition, were later transferred to the National Orthopedic Hospital.

The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, who confirmed the incident, said the suspect took to his heels after setting his family members ablaze and has not been found.

He said that investigations had commenced to ascertain the motive of the arsonist, adding that the police would do everything possible to apprehend the suspect.

Nigeria's 51st independence anniversary witnessed low-key celebrations across the country as officials and other participants stayed away from parade grounds following the twin bomb attack threats by the Boko Haram religious sect and the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND).


Related stories: Man sets Pregnant Wife on Fire

50 year old man beheads his wife

No comments:

Post a Comment