Two Chinese construction workers, who were abducted in Nigeria’s southeastern Ebonyi state last Wednesday, have been freed, police said on Monday.
Speaking to Anadolu Agency, Loveth Odiah, police spokeswoman for the state, said the Chinese workers -- Sun Zhixin and Wang Quing Hu -- were released on Saturday.
They were kidnapped by masked armed gunmen on Wednesday in Ohaozara area of the state where they were constructing a bridge.
Odiah did not say whether any ransom had been paid or that their abductors were arrested.
She urged expatriates in the area to seek security cover to avoid such incidents in the future.
Meanwhile, the army has confirmed the kidnapping of two foreign oil workers at an oil rig in Abua-Odua area of southern River state.
Local media, quoting sources, said the abductees are a Canadian and a Scot, who were taken away on Saturday.
"The joint military task force has launched a manhunt for the kidnappers with a view to free the oil workers," army spokesman Ibrahim Abdullahi told Anadolu Agency on Monday.
He said the kidnappers were yet to contact the firm the expatriates work for, urging the oil companies to always provide extra security to their workers in the volatile area.