Thursday, August 6, 2026

Nigeria announces rescue of 308 kidnapped citizens

More than 300 people who had been kidnapped across Nigeria have been freed in an intelligence and security operation, the government has announced.

“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu warmly welcomes the successful rescue of 308 Nigerian citizens who were abducted in different attacks in Niger and Kwara states,” Bayo Onanuga, a special adviser to Nigeria’s president, said in a statement.

The statement said that 163 of those rescued were abducted from the Woro Community in Kaiama Local Government Area in Kwara State, and 145 were taken from Niger State.

“The victims were rescued from the Kainji Lake National Park Forest in New Bussa Local Government Area of Niger State”, according to the statement, as a result of a “coordinated, intelligence-driven operation”. The operation was carried out by the country’s National Counter Terrorism Centre, involving members of the armed forces, the police force and the Department of State Services.

“It was the largest rescue operation ever carried out on the same day by Nigeria’s joint security team,” the statement added.

The government in Kwara State, near the border with Benin, welcomed the rescue in a social media post, local channel Arise News reported.

“Kudos to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, security forces, and everyone who played a role in this huge feat. We are grateful!”, said the Kwara government statement, announcing the release of those abducted during the February 3 attack on local communities in Kaiama.

At least 200 people were killed in the attack, when suspected Boko Haram-linked fighters launched a coordinated assault that lasted several hours, according to the Nigeria-based Punch website.

Kidnapping for ransom by criminal groups, Boko Haram-linked fighters and gangs known as bandits has become a major crisis in Nigeria, especially in areas with little state presence.

Soft targets, including schools, churches and mosques, particularly in vulnerable rural communities with limited state security, have been particularly at risk.

On January 18, 177 people were abducted from three churches in the village of Kurmin Wali in Kaduna State.

Last month, security services freed at least 40 students and teachers kidnapped in May from the southern state of Oyo.

In June, the president announced that the military had “neutralised” more than 13,000 “terrorists” in the past year. The army also said it had rescued 360 people abducted by Boko Haram, which has spread across parts of the country from Borno State, once considered the centre of its operations.

“The successful execution of this intelligence-led operation demonstrates the growing efficiency and collaboration among our security services. I commend our gallant men and women in uniform for their bravery and unwavering commitment to safeguarding Nigerian lives,” the president said in his latest statement.

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Video - Nigeria launches $552 million drive to improve learning outcomes for 29 million children



Nigeria is partnering with the World Bank on a $500 million program aimed at reducing the number of out-of-school children and improving access to quality education. The initiative will focus on expanding access to classrooms, strengthening teacher training and improving learning outcomes as the country works to address one of its biggest education challenges.

Priest murdered, followed by kidnappings at Mass in Nigeria

Two violent attacks against the Catholic Church in Nigeria have been perpetrated in less than a week. A priest was killed and days later, on Aug. 2, gunmen stormed a Mass and abducted several people.

According to the Vatican agency Fides, the slain priest was Father Samuel Opeyemi Oyetoro of the Diocese of Lokoja in Kogi state.

“With deep sorrow but with firm faith in the resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ,” on July 30 the Diocese of Lokoja announced “the passing unto eternal glory” of Oyetoro.

Details of the murder were released by state police spokesperson and assistant superintendent Afusat Oyiza Salihu. “On July 29, 2026, around 9:30 a.m., the police received information regarding the discovery of a manʼs lifeless body along Church Road in Ajaokuta,” Salihu said.


Salihu added that police arrived quickly at the scene and confirmed that the victim “had severe machete wounds to the head.” The body was taken to ASCL Hospital, where the priest’s death was pronounced.

According to Salihu, “the investigation is ongoing,” and they are working “to apprehend those responsible.”

“Once the preliminary investigation is concluded, the case will be transferred to the state Criminal Investigation Department for further proceedings,” she explained.

Meanwhile, the governor of Kogi state, Ahmed Ododo, condemned the killing, describing it as “an atrocious and unacceptable act,” according to Fides.


Gunmen storm a Mass

While the local Church was mourning the priestʼs death, still another incident of violence shook Nigerian Catholics.

Fides also reported that on Sunday, Aug. 2, at least seven gunmen stormed St. Joseph’s Church in Inoyi Affa, Enugu state, during the morning Mass.

The attackers abducted three people: a seminarian, a catechist, and a parishioner.

Several attendees at the Mass attempted to pursue the kidnappers but abandoned the effort upon realizing the assailants were armed and to avoid further endangering the lives of the hostages, according to Fides.

Police launched a search operation that led to the release of the catechist. However, seminarian Lawrence Chidera Igbo and a parishioner identified only as Emmanuel remain in captivity.

By Diego López Marina, EWTN NEWS

Nigeria's Tinubu approves up to 80% pay rise for soldiers

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu has approved salary increases of up to 80% for members of the armed forces, benefiting about 250,000 personnel as the government seeks to boost troop morale amid persistent insurgency, banditry and kidnapping.

The new salary structure, announced on Tuesday, will take effect on September 1 and increase the armed forces' annual wage bill from 660 billion naira to 924 billion naira.

Under the package, personnel from private to staff sergeant will receive the highest increase of 80%, while those from colonel to warrant officer will get a 50% raise.

Officers above the rank of colonel, including generals, will receive a 30% increase.


Government cites security challenges

The salary review comes as Nigeria continues to battle multiple security threats, including Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) insurgents in the northeast, armed bandits in the northwest and widespread kidnappings across several regions.

President Tinubu said the pay increase recognises the sacrifices made by military personnel and reaffirmed his administration's commitment to improving troop welfare while modernising the armed forces with better equipment and technology.


Lawmakers welcome decision

Senator Abdulaziz Yar'Adua, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, described the salary increase as a timely morale booster that would strengthen the fighting spirit of troops confronting insecurity across the country.

Senator Ahmad Lawan, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Defence, also praised the move, calling it a strategic investment in national security. He urged the armed forces to respond with greater professionalism and closer cooperation between the Army, Navy and Air Force.


Welfare and modernisation

The government said about 250,000 military personnel will benefit from the revised pay structure, which adds 264 billion naira to the annual military wage bill.

The salary adjustment forms part of broader efforts to improve troop welfare and strengthen operational effectiveness as security forces continue operations against terrorism, banditry and other violent crimes across the country.

By Dominic Wabwireh, AP

Nigeria cannot build safe schools in unsafe communities

“I am profoundly happy,” Nigerian President Bola Tinubu said after security forces rescued 39 pupils and six teachers who had spent 56 days in captivity. Gunmen had abducted them from three schools in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State on May 15.

Their rescue brought immense relief. But it also exposed a deeper failure: More than 12 years after the Chibok abduction prompted Nigeria to make schools safer, dozens of pupils and teachers could still be seized from their schools and held for nearly two months.

On April 14, 2014, Boko Haram abducted 276 schoolgirls from Chibok in Borno State in northeastern Nigeria. The attack captured the world’s attention and became a defining moment in Nigerian history. It led the United Nations, global business leaders and the Nigerian government to launch the Safe Schools Initiative (SSI) the following month, initially covering 500 schools in the northeastern states.

The Oyo abduction, therefore, did more than bring school safety back to the top of the national agenda. It raised serious questions about what the initiative has achieved and whether protecting school grounds alone can keep children safe while a lack of security continues beyond them.

On paper, SSI provides for school perimeter fencing, access control and enhanced security infrastructure as well as local guards and security personnel, community-based early-warning systems, the relocation of at-risk students to safer schools, psychosocial support for survivors and temporary learning centres in camps for internally displaced people.

Since then, Nigeria’s safe-schools framework has been expanded to include all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. Some states, such as Lagos and Ogun, have adapted and strengthened its implementation by introducing safety audits and establishing safety committees.

Yet nationally, the initiative has fallen far short of its promise. In June, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project called for an investigation into allegations that funds allocated to SSI had been mismanaged or diverted amid scrutiny of the 145-billion-naira ($106m) financing plan.

According to data in Nigeria’s National Plan on Financing Safe Schools, more than 42,000 primary and secondary schools across northern Nigeria lacked perimeter fencing. The gap between the initiative’s funding commitments and conditions on the ground has raised questions about how SSI has been managed. In July, the Nigerian House of Representatives ordered a comprehensive assessment of the initiative and the national plan, including the use of funds allocated to school-safety measures.

Despite the initiative, attacks on schools and abductions of students and teachers have continued. Thousands of Nigerian students have been abducted by armed groups since 2014. A media tally recorded the abduction of at least 603 students and teachers in seven mass attacks from March 2024 to May 2026 alone.

The consequences extend beyond those directly abducted. In many affected areas, a persistent lack of security has forced schools to remain closed, depriving children of their educations. On July 9, the Kebbi State government reiterated that schools in communities affected by banditry would remain closed until security improved, about seven months after the policy was introduced.

This worsening crisis exposes the failure to implement SSI fully and effectively. Many targeted schools remain outside the programme’s protection or have received upgrades only on paper. Even where physical security measures are in place, they cannot work in isolation.

Building a wall around a school does not prevent armed groups from operating, recruiting or expanding in the surrounding area. Nor does it protect students on their journeys to and from school. Without the initiative’s broader early-warning and community-security measures, fortification leaves the threat intact beyond the school walls.

That wider threat is sustained by economic and governance failures. Armed groups and their local collaborators have different motives, but they thrive under many of the same conditions: high unemployment, extreme poverty, the absence of state authority and the rule of law in rural and border areas, corruption within local government and the security apparatus, and perceived political, economic and social marginalisation.

Effective implementation of SSI also requires sustained funding. In a country where the education sector is already severely underfunded, SSI can succeed only if governments budget not merely for walls, gates and surveillance systems but also for trained personnel, maintenance and emergency response. Without sustained funding, these systems will deteriorate and leave schools vulnerable once again.

Fortification can also carry psychological and educational costs. A school, at its core, is an open community space for learning and growth. Transforming schools into something resembling “fortified prisons” or miniature military barracks can create an environment of constant fear and apprehension among students, negatively affecting their academic performance and mental health and weakening the schools’ role as centres of community life.

The answer is not to abandon SSI but to place it within a broader strategy. Schools cannot be protected in isolation from the roads, forests and communities surrounding them.

A sustainable solution to a lack of security at schools lies in comprehensive community security. This means reforming Nigeria’s security sector, integrating schools into local early-warning networks, improving relations between security forces and citizens, and extending effective state protection into areas where armed groups operate. It also requires economic development to address the entrenched poverty and unemployment that armed groups exploit, alongside efforts to combat terrorism and extremist recruitment.

Nigeria’s schools cannot be secure while the communities around them remain unsafe.

The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera’s editorial stance.

By Hakeem Najimdeen, CEO of Alafarika for Studies and Consultancy, Nigeria, Al Jazeera