Friday, February 20, 2026

Nigerian extradited to US for sextortion, death of an American

A Nigerian, Afeez Adewale, appeared before the US federal court in Philadelphia on Tuesday after he was extradited from Nigeria for his involvement in a wire fraud and money laundering conspiracy that led to the death of a young American.

He was extradited from Nigeria last Friday by Federal Bureau of Investigation representatives in Nigeria, who had taken him into custody since August 2023.

Mr Adewale is charged with the sexual extortion and death of a young US citizen in the eastern district of Pennsylvania, according to a statement by the US Department of Justice.

“Adewale is charged by indictment with wire fraud and money laundering conspiracy,” the statement disclosed.

The department also noted that Mr Adewale, who was arrested in Nigeria in August, is part of a wider operation with the FBI to apprehend sexual extortionists who target minors in the US.

Two members of his team had been extradited from Nigeria and sentenced in 2024. The department identified the two as Imoleayo Aina, also known as “Alice Dave,” and Samuel Abiodun.

They were extradited to the US in August 2024.

Mr Abiodun pleaded guilty to money laundering conspiracy and wire fraud and was sentenced to five years in prison. While Mr Aina pleaded guilty to cyberstalking, interstate threat to injure reputation, receiving proceeds of extortion, money laundering conspiracy, and wire fraud, and was sentenced to six years in prison.

The US Justice Department also said the extradition, through the “support and assistance of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), months after his arrest, was essential to this effort.”

It also said “Nigeria’s Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, the Federal Ministry of Justice’s International Criminal Justice Cooperation Department” provided support.

This is the latest case of a Nigerian extradited to the US for cyber fraud.

Nigeria’s first extradition treaty with the US was signed by the colonial government in 1931.

PREMIUM TIMES reports that in 2023, two Nigerians, Samuel Ogoshi and Samson Ogoshi, were extradited to the US from Nigeria after they were indicted for sexually extorting numerous teenage boys in Michigan.

Another case was reported in 2019 involving 56-year-old Adedeji Adeniran, who was extradited to the Northern District of Florida.

One notable high-profile extradition from Nigeria to the US involved Fatade Olamilekan, who was extradited in July 2022 to face charges related to a $3.5 million fraud scheme.

Mr Olamilekan had been on the FBI’s wanted list for allegedly stealing over $3.5 million worth of equipment and had his extradition coordinated by the EFCC.

By Beloved John, Premium Times

‘Severance’ Producer Boards Sequel to Nigerian Netflix Hit ‘Black Book’


 







Nicholas Weinstock, the Emmy-nominated producer of Severance, is on board to produce The Black Book 2 – Old Scores, the sequel to Editi Effiong’s 2023 Nigerian revenge thriller that smashed records worldwide.

The original Black Book, made for just $1 million, hit no. 3 on Netflix‘s global charts in 2023, ranking in the top 10 in more than 69 countries and racking up more than 20 million views worldwide. It stars Richard Mofe-Damijo as Paul Edima, a former hitman and deacon, who takes revenge after his son is framed and killed by a corrupt police unit.

Weinstock’s Invention Studios is producing The Black Book 2 along with Effiong’s Anakle Films. Effiong returns as writer and director on the sequel. The feature picks up where Black Book ended, with Paul Edima continuing his assault on the corrupt system. A blurb for the film says the second installment will “delve deeper…into themes of justice, redemption, and societal unrest in contemporary Nigeria.”

“The Black Book showed us that local stories can spark global conversations,” said Effiong, in a statement. “With Old Scores, we’re not just continuing a story, we’re continuing a movement — one that affirms the power of African voices to shape cinema worldwide.”

“What Editi’s created with The Black Book is unique in its power: not just a great action film but a film franchise of extraordinary skill, ambition, and worldwide commercial appeal,” added Weinstock. “It’s a phenomenal time for African and international creators to be delivering work at the quality level of traditional Hollywood and actually beyond – and to be stunning global audiences with sheer imagination and excellence. And there’s no better example of that than Old Scores and its game-changing potential.”

Weinstock’s Invention Studios produced June Squibb action-comedy Thelma (2024), and Weinstock’s production credits include features like Queenpins (2021) and Dinner in America (2020), and the Emmy-nominated Showtime series Escape at Dannemora. He is one of the producers of AppleTV+ hit Severance, which has been nominated for 53 Emmy Awards.

The Black Book 2 isn’t Weinstock’s first Nigerian project. He is also producing Clarissa, Arie and Chuko Esiri’s Nigerian-set modern adaptation of the Virginia Woolf novel Mrs. Dalloway, which stars Sophie Okonedo, David Oyelowo, and Ayo Edebiri, and which Neon recently picked up for U.S. distribution.

Anakle Films is represented by 3Point0 Labs, with Effiong represented by Zero Gravity for writing and directing. Weinstock is represented by CAA and Aron Baumel of Goodman Genow Schenkman Smelkinson + Christopher.

By Scott Roxborough, The Hollywood Reporter

Thursday, February 19, 2026

Nigeria’s President Tinubu warns terrorist activities are threats to development



Nigerian President Bola Tinubu has expressed grave concern over the rising tide of terrorism and banditry, which he sees as major threats to the country's development. While he remains confident that Nigeria will overcome these challenges, the ongoing security issues continue to disrupt daily life and hinder progress.


Dangote cement makes history as first to list commercial papers on Nigerian exchange NGX

 


Dangote Cement Plc has become the first company to list Commercial Papers (CPs) on Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX), marking a structural shift in Nigeria’s short-term debt market.

The listing follows NGX’s introduction of a Commercial Paper window on December 3, 2025, after receiving approval from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), expanding the Exchange’s product suite and deepening Nigeria’s domestic debt capital market.


Details of the Issuance

According to BusinessDay, Dangote Cement’s Series 1 and Series 2 Commercial Papers were admitted under its N500 billion Commercial Paper Issuance Programme.

The N19.95 billion Series 1 CP has a tenor of 181 days and will mature on May 20, 2026. The N99.92 billion Series 2 CP carries a tenor of 265 days and is scheduled to mature on August 12, 2026.

Both instruments were issued at a discount and will be redeemed at par value of N1,000 upon maturity. Series 1 and Series 2 offered implied yields of 17.50 percent and 19 percent, respectively.

David Adonri, Vice Chairman of Highcap Securities Limited, described the development as a milestone for the domestic debt market. “Dangote Cement’s Commercial Paper listing on NGX signals growing sophistication in Nigeria’s short-term debt market. The attractive yields of these instruments highlight strong investor appetite for high-quality, short-tenor corporate debt, and provide a benchmark for future issuances,” he said.

NGX’s Strategic Expansion

Temi Popoola, Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of NGX Group, said the launch aligns with the Exchange’s broader strategy to strengthen capital formation.

“The introduction of Commercial Paper listings is a pivotal step in our strategy to position NGX as a comprehensive capital-markets infrastructure that accelerates capital formation across Africa,” Popoola said.

“As we continue strengthening the foundations of a transparent, technology-driven and inclusive marketplace, our focus remains on building a system that supports sustainable growth, enhances market resilience and unlocks new opportunities for the broader economy.”

Commercial Papers are unsecured short-term debt instruments used by corporates to finance working capital and immediate funding needs. Historically, Nigeria’s CP market has operated largely over-the-counter, limiting transparency and secondary market liquidity.

By admitting CPs to trading, NGX introduces greater visibility, structured price discovery and improved tradability for short-term instruments.


How Nigeria Compares Across Africa

While Commercial Paper markets are established in several African economies, Nigeria’s move formalises a segment that had largely operated outside exchange visibility.

South Africa operates one of the continent’s most mature CP markets, with active issuance among banks and corporates.

Kenya also maintains a robust short-term debt market under the Capital Markets Authority, with regular CP issuances by financial institutions and major corporates.

Morocco and Egypt similarly support structured corporate short-term instruments.

Within West Africa, short-term corporate instruments are available through the BRVM regional exchange, covering markets such as Ivory Coast and Senegal, though with comparatively lower liquidity.

Nigeria’s development narrows the structural gap between its market and those of more advanced African economies.


Implications for Issuers and Investors

The listing comes amid elevated interest rates and tighter credit conditions, prompting corporates to seek flexible funding options.

Short-tenor instruments such as CPs offer quicker access to liquidity, while investors benefit from competitive yields relative to traditional fixed-income products.

Dangote Cement’s transaction reinforces NGX’s ambition to position itself as a full-spectrum capital-raising platform, supporting funding across equities, bonds and short-term instruments.

By Olamilekan Okebiorun, Business Insider Africa

Related story: Aliko Dangote calls for emergency power summit as blackouts threaten Nigeria’s $500bn economy

Toxic gas leak at mine in Nigeria kills at least 37 miners

At least 37 miners have died in a suspected carbon-monoxide leak at a lead and zinc mine in central Nigeria's Plateau state, witnesses have told the BBC.

The tragedy is believed to have happened just before sunrise at a site outside the town of Wase run by the mining company Solid Unity Nigeria Ltd.

Toxic gas is believed to have built up underground in poorly ventilated tunnels, causing the workers to collapse just before the end of their night shift.

They were discovered by those reporting to work in the morning - more than 20 other miners were rescued and rushed to hospital for treatment.

Security personnel have sealed off the mine, which is about 200km (124 miles) south-east of the state capital of Jos, as investigations get under way to find out the cause of the leak.

State officials are yet to visit the area and response efforts have reportedly been slow because of security concerns - armed criminal gangs, known locally as bandits, have been active there in recent years.

The Nigerian government has suspended mining licences in the affected area and ordered an investigation, vowing to release further details in due course.

Safiyanu Haruna, one of the miners who found the bodies at the start of his shift, told the BBC that some of the miners who were underground survived and were taken to a hospital in Wase for treatment.

According to Haruna, the incident occurred at around 06:30 local time (05:30 GMT) killing 37 miners.

He said the miners had just finished performing their early morning Muslim prayers and had returned underground to finish their shift.

The Plateau state government has issued a statement saying that according to its preliminary investigation 37 miners were killed in a blast at the mine - but workers at the scene say this is not the case.

"It was carbon-monoxide gas that leaked and killed them," Haruna said.

"There was no rescue for them at the time because those who were coming for the morning shift had yet to arrive," he said.

"It is sad to lose 37 miners who were struggling to make ends meet. We're disturbed by the incident."

The victims, believed to be men aged between 20 and 40, were buried shortly afterwards in accordance with local tradition, another local resident told the BBC.

The news has devastated the mainly Muslim community.

Mining disasters occur relatively frequently in Nigeria.

Less than two years ago, dozens of gold miners died after being trapped underground when a pit collapsed in neighbouring Niger state.

Officials believe that incident was caused by torrential rains which had softened the soil.

The tragedy is likely to renew concerns over safety standards in Nigeria's mining sector.

By Mansur Abubakar, BBC