Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Demonstrators in Nigeria gather days early for anti-government protests

Hundreds of protesters have gathered in central Nigeria days before planned national demonstrations over economic hardship and record inflation.

The protesters, many of them young people, converged in the town of Suleja, 3o miles outside the federal capital, Abuja, with placards criticising the government’s policies. Week-long nationwide protests had been due to begin on Wednesday.

A cost-of-living crisis that was already hitting Africa’s most populous country at the time the president, Bola Tinubu, took office in May last year has intensified after he removed a controversial fuel subsidy and announced other reforms.

The prices of everyday commodities have astronomically increased, uninterrupted electricity is a distant dream and fuel queues remain a common feature of life in the country, despite Nigeria’s status as one of the world’s top oil and gas producers.

Nigeria has also become the world’s malnutrition capital with more than 31.8 million children affected, according to NGO data.

As the protest in Suleja commenced, there were counter-protests in parts of Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital and Tinubu’s stronghold, with big banners reading “Say no to protest”, only a couple of miles away from fuel queues in the city.

In recent weeks, the Nigerian government had been warning and pleading in equal measure for citizens not to take to the street, apparently aware of its deepening unpopularity.

“You can’t judge leadership within one year,” Nyesom Wike, the minister in charge of Abuja, said on Sunday, at a forum convened to speak with young people in the city.

Analysts said the government was attempting to prevent a repeat of the protests in Kenya, where young people in the east African nation held the state to a standstill for weeks, forcing the government to repeal new taxes.

Tinubu, who approved a hike in the national minimum wage from N30,000 (£14.40) to N70,000 a month, urged young people not to demonstrate, claiming organisers were mobilising for mass action with “sinister motives”. He has also met traditional rulers across the country to urge them to prevail on their subjects to be patient with his administration.

Authorities have claimed the aim of the protests is to destabilise the country. On Friday, the secret service said it had identified “the funding lines, sponsors and collaborators of” a plot to topple the government via the demonstrations. 

A day after, the police chief, Kayode Egbetokun, said the security agencies were in possession of “credible intelligence” on the involvement of foreign mercenaries. Neither statement gave any details. 

Local reports say soldiers blocked the highway leading to Abuja on Monday while police reinforcements were seen in the northern hub of Kano on Sunday.

The US, UK and Canada have issued travel advisories in advance of the protests.

The last big protests in Nigeria were the Occupy Nigeria demonstrations against fuel subsidy in 2012 – in which Tinubu played a key role – and 2020’s campaign against a rogue police unit known for its extrajudicial killings.

By Eromo Egbejule, The Guardian

Related story: US, UK, Canada issue travel warnings over protests

US, UK, Canada issue travel warnings over protests

The United States, United Kingdom and Canada issued travel warnings for Nigeria ahead of planned protests over economic hardship and rising costs.

The UK Foreign Office said there was a risk of unrest from July 29 through August 10, and noted that "past protests have turned violent with little warning."

The Canadian government also warned that the protests "could turn violent at any time."

Meanwhile, the US embassy in Abuja advised American citizens to avoid crowds and demonstrations.
Why are Nigerians protesting?

Nigeria is experiencing its worst cost-of-living crisis in a generation.

In June, inflation hit a record high at 34.19% while food inflation rose to more than 40.87%, according to Nigeria's National Bureau of Statistics.

Activists have called for 10 days of protests nationwide to begin on Thursday under the banner #EndBadGovernance.

The protests have been organized by a broad coalition of civil society groups, the Sunday Punch newspaper reported.

Both supporters and opponents of the protest have drawn comparisons with recent protests in Kenya against a plan to raise taxes on essential goods.

The Premium Times newspaper reported that some protesters already began blocking major roads in the capital, Abuja, on Monday.
Police on alert

Authorities have urged young people to stay away from the protests. Police cracked down heavily on the last major protests, the #EndSARS demonstrations, in 2020.

"While citizens have the right to peaceful protest, they do not have the right to mobilize for anarchy and unleash terror," defense spokesperson Major General Edward Buba told reporters.

But some opposition leaders like Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party said the government must provide security so that "peaceful protests" can go ahead.

"Any attempt to suppress these rights is not only unconstitutional but a direct affront to our democracy," Abubakar said on social media last week.

DW

Related story: Power grid in Nigeria shut down, airlines disrupted as unions strike

Friday, July 12, 2024

Poultry farming sector hit by inflation in Nigeria



Nigeria's poultry farming sector is experiencing widespread problems. Rising costs of feed, drugs, and production have led to the closure of 30 percent of farms within just six months.

CGTN

Nigeria violated human rights during police brutality protests

A regional African court has ruled that Nigerian authorities violated the rights of protesters during mass demonstrations against police brutality in 2020.

The protests, dubbed End SARS, called for disbanding the Special Anti-Robbery Squad after allegations of torture, extortion and extrajudicial killings.

A coalition of human rights activists and organizations sued in late 2021. Applicants Obianuju Udeh, Perpetual Kamsi and Dabiraoluwa Adeyinka alleged severe human rights violations by state agents as they put down the street protests.

In its verdict issued Wednesday, a three-member panel of the Court of Justice - linked with the Economic Community of West African States, or ECOWAS - determined that Nigerian authorities had used disproportionate force in their response to the protests.

The panel said security agents had violated the African Charter on Human and People's Rights as well as several international human rights laws.

Bolaji Gabari, lead counsel representing the applicants, welcomed the verdict.

"Justice is finally achieved and obtained. ... What we were really looking for was to get an affirmation that this really happened," Gabari said. "This judgment just affirms what we have been saying. The other applicants that came forward initially considered their safety and withdrew."

The ECOWAS court ordered the Nigerian government to compensate each applicant with $6,400, or about 10 million naira; to investigate the rights abuses; and to show progress on holding offenders responsible within six months.

The court also stated that the use of live rounds against protesters at the Lekki toll gate on October 20, 2020, caused fear, and that the Nigerian government did not present evidence refuting those allegations.

Authorities have not responded to the court ruling, and a national police spokesperson did not take VOA's calls for comment.

But human rights groups like Amnesty International and some activists welcomed the court’s decision as a significant victory for human rights in Nigeria.

Nelson Olanipekun, a human rights lawyer and founder of Citizens' Gavel, a civic organization that seeks to improve the pace of justice delivery through the use of technology, said, "The ECOWAS court judgment came at a right time, especially now that Nigerians are going through tough times. And there's also a regional move where Africans largely are recognizing their power as citizens. For example, what happened in Kenya — people demanding accountability from their government — was also similar to what happened during End SARS."

Olanipekun said, however, that more work needs to be done.

"What is the next move? Since End SARS, even though the police have tried, there has been reoccurrence of incidents of police brutality in the country," he said. "It has not abated. There's no sufficient accountability and oversight over government organizations. Also, the Nigerian court has been weak, inefficient and corrupt. They're not independent enough."

Thousands of young Nigerians poured into the streets in October 2020 to demand the dissolution of the SARS unit, but the protest soon expanded to call for better governance before it was forcefully quelled on October 20.

Last October, Amnesty International said at least 15 End SARS protesters languished in a Lagos jail while activists marked the third anniversary of the protests. 


By Timothy Obiezu, VOA

Nigeria unions meet president in push for new minimum wage

Nigeria’s labour unions told President Bola Tinubu on Thursday that soaring prices and a weakening currency were biting hard as they pushed for a new minimum wage they say will help cushion workers from the worst cost of living crisis in generations.

 

WHY IT’S IMPORTANT

Labour unions suspended a strike in early June to give negotiations on the new minimum wage a chance but a failure to reach an agreement could prompt unions to call for new action.

Leaders in Nigeria are mindful of deadly riots in Kenya that forced the government to backtrack from raising taxes and are trying to balance between appeasing restive workers and borrowing more to meet wage demands.

Any major disruptions to economic activity could tip over an economy struggling with tepid growth, low production of oil, its main export, and high cost of living.
 

BY THE NUMBERS

The government is offering a monthly wage of 62,000 naira ($40) but unions want 250,000 naira ($160) and have asked authorities to roll back increases in gasoline and electricity prices. The last minimum wage was agreed in 2019.

WHAT’S NEXT?

The labour leaders said they had agreed some issues with Tinubu, which they did not disclose, and added that they would reconvene another meeting in a week.

Related story: Nigeria strike: ‘My monthly pay won't buy a bag of rice’