Nigeria’s Interior Minister, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, and some of his collaborators recently held talks with officials in the UK to discuss partnership regarding the launch of the biometric passport application system for Nigerians residing in that country and others, which is planned for November 15.
Tunji-Ojo said they had discussions with the UK Home Secretary, Rt Hon Yvette Cooper, on the passport project and on ways of strengthening cooperation in the area of data security for the efficient delivery of public services.
The NIS Contactless Biometrics App is set to launch in the UK, Italy, and the United States this Friday, and the service will be made available to the rest of the world on December 1. It had gone live in Canada on November 1.
The contactless system, which enables the remote capture of face and fingerprint biometrics for passport renewal applicants, is delivered by two local companies, Iris Smart Technologies and Newworks, which have been working in collaboration with the NIS.
“In line with our initiative to extend contactless biometrics solution to the UK, having successfully launched in Canada with impressive success rate, I also led senior officials, including the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Magdalene Ajani, on an oversight visit to the Nigeria High Commission. This visit reaffirms our support for the attachés working to improve our services to Nigerians abroad,” Tunji-Ojo said in a post on X.
“We discussed mutual goals to strengthen security, efficiency, and service delivery, showing our administration’s dedication to sustainable development through cooperation and shared purpose.”
The NIS, at the time, explained the functionality of the mobile application and how to use it, in an X thread.
Nigerian authorities say the contactless system is part of their efforts to streamline the passport application process for millions of citizens who have always faced challenges renewing their passports both in Nigeria and in different parts of the world.
Thursday, November 14, 2024
Nigeria’s passport app with contactless biometric capture set for US, UK, Italy
Nigeria signs $1.2 billion deal with Chinese state-owned company to revamp key gas plant
Nigeria has inked a $1.2 billion deal with a Chinese firm to revitalize a gas processing facility, a move that officials say could propel the African country to a leading position in aluminum production.
The deal between the Chinese state-owned CNCEC and the BFI Group, a major investor in the Aluminum Smelter Company of Nigeria, is expected to revive the 135 million standard cubic feet gas processing facility plant at the smelter. It was announced Tuesday by Nigeria's minister of state for gas via a post on the social platform X.
Minister of State for Gas Ekperikpe Ekpo expressed optimism about the “significant investment,” stating that it would position the smelter “back on the path to becoming a leading aluminum producer for both domestic and international markets.”
Nigeria and China’s economic relationship deepened in 2016, when the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari visited Chinese President Xi Jinping and signed a number of agreements. Since then, Chinese companies have been contracted to build railways and provide infrastructure in Africa’s most populous country.
Despite being a major oil producer in Africa, Nigeria has some of the world’s highest poverty and hunger levels.
President Bola Tinubu, who took office last year, initiated reforms to reduce government spending and attract foreign investment. However, the country continues to face economic challenges, including a 28-year high inflation rate. Its currency, the naira, is at record lows against the dollar.
Many Nigerians have taken the streets in recent months to protest against the economic hardship they say is caused by the reforms. In August, at least 20 protesters were shot dead and hundreds of others were arrested.
By Dyepkazah Shibayan, AP
Nigeria's NNPC signs 10-year gas sale deal with Dangote Refinery
Nigeria's state oil firm, NNPC Ltd said on Wednesday one of its subsidiaries has agreed to supply 100 million standard cubic feet of gas per day to the Dangote oil refinery for the next 10 years.
Financial details were not disclosed.
Under the agreement, NNPC Gas Marketing Limited will supply the refinery built by Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote in Lagos with natural gas for power generation and feedstock. The contract has options for renewal and additional supply.
NNPC, Africa's biggest oil producer, is seeking to promote domestic gas consumption for industrial growth.
By Isaac Anyaogu,Reuters
Wednesday, November 13, 2024
Nigeria recovered $5 billion in stolen assets over 25 years
Nigeria has successfully recovered over $5 billion in assets over the past 25 years, according to a report from the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC).
・Nigeria has recovered over $5 billion in stolen assets in the past 25 years.
・Significant amounts were returned from Switzerland and the United States.
・Nigeria has achieved only 29% of key asset recovery indicators.
Nigeria has successfully recovered over $5 billion in assets over the past 25 years, according to a report from the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC).
CISLAC’s Executive Director, Auwal Ibrahim Musa (Rafsanjani), shared this during the launch of the 2024 Report on the Common African Position on Asset Recovery (CARPA) in Nigeria. CARPA, a framework adopted by the African Union in 2020, aims to support African nations in recovering illicit funds.
“Over the past 25 years, Nigeria has recovered over $5 billion in stolen assets, including significant sums returned from Switzerland and the United States. Some notable cases include the Abacha assets, where hundreds of millions of dollars looted by former military ruler Sani Abacha were repatriated after decades of international negotiations,” he said.
Despite these recoveries, Mr. Musa highlighted persistent challenges in managing returned assets, noting that there’s still much to be done, especially when it comes to involving citizens and civil society.
Nigeria has achieved just 29% of key asset recovery indicators, hindered by the absence of a unified anti-corruption strategy and fragmented coordination among agencies, which continue to slow down recovery efforts.
He pointed out the lack of essential frameworks, like whistleblower protection channels, which would empower citizens to report corruption-related issues more safely.
The CISLAC report noted that Nigeria, along with other African nations like Morocco and Kenya, struggles to effectively manage returned assets, which limits their impact on national development.
The report emphasised the need for stronger international cooperation to enhance asset recovery efforts and combat corruption across the continent.
Adekunle Agbetiloye, Pulse
Related story: Court in Nigeria tells government to account for recovered Abacha loot
Tuesday, November 12, 2024
Nigeria signs $1.2 billion deal to revamp gas plant for aluminium smelter
Nigeria has signed a $1.2 billion contract with Chinese state-owned engineering firm CNCEC to revamp a gas processing plant crucial for the country's aluminium production, its Petroleum Ministry said.
The contract signed between CNCEC and BFI Group - the core investor in the Aluminum Smelter Company of Nigeria - is the first step towards reviving the dormant smelter, which has been plagued by years of inactivity due to legal disputes and financial issues.
The Petroleum Ministry said late on Monday that the deal would see CNCEC resuscitate the 135 million standard cubic feet per day gas processing plant at the dormant smelter, which can produce around 300,000 tons of aluminium annually.
Minister of State for Gas Epkerikpe Ekpo said the plant's restart would allow Nigeria to develop multiple stages of the aluminium production process and position it "as a major producer of aluminium in Africa and globally".
The plant is expected to produce around one million tons of aluminium annually and generate up to 540 megawatts of electricity, Ekpo said.