Friday, August 14, 2026

Nigeria to miss Women’s World Cup for first time in over 30 years

Nigeria’s record of appearing at every edition of the Women’s World Cup since the tournament began in 1991 has finally been punctured.

On Thursday night in Casablanca, South Africa’s Banyana Banyana defeated Nigeria’s Super Falcons 2-1 to effectively extinguish the country’s slim hopes of qualifying for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

The Super Falcons had hoped to recover from their disappointing WAFCON quarter-final exit against Cameroon, but South Africa proved too strong in Thursday’s crucial play-off.

South Africa’s goalkeeper Kaylin Swart stood stoutly against the Super Falcons, ensuring Banyana Banyana advanced to FIFA’s Inter-Confederation Play-Off Tournament alongside Ghana’s Black Queens.

Côte d’Ivoire’s Lady Elephants were also edged out of the race for a place at next year’s World Cup, having lost 2-1 in their playoff tie against Ghana.


Unlucky Falcons

After a goalless first half, Thembi Kgatlana broke the deadlock in the 56th minute, putting Banyana Banyana ahead.

Nigeria struggled to respond as South Africa maintained pressure, with captain Refiloe Jane doubling the advantage in the 77th minute.

The Super Falcons were handed a late lifeline when Christy Ucheibe pulled one back in stoppage time from the penalty spot, but Nigeria could not find an equaliser before the final whistle.

Jane was also sent off moments before Ucheibe’s goal, leaving South Africa to see out the closing stages with 10 players.

The result adds to a difficult period for Nigeria, which entered the WAFCON as defending champions and Africa’s most successful women’s national team with 10 continental titles.


Poor tournament

Their campaign began with a shock 3-2 defeat to Malawi before victories over Zambia and Egypt took them into the quarter-finals. Cameroon then ended their title defence with a 1-0 victory.

Coach Justin Madugu had described the South Africa match as a “second chance” for the Falcons after their WAFCON disappointment.

That opportunity has now slipped away.

South Africa, meanwhile, recovered from their own WAFCON quarter-final disappointment after losing 2-1 to hosts Morocco.

For Nigeria, the defeat adds to the catalogue of woes that have seen the majority of the country’s football teams miss out on qualifying for crucial continental and global tournaments.

By Tunde Eludini, Premium Times

Dangote refinery plans retail-focused IPO, no foreign listing for now

Dangote Petroleum Refinery's planned October IPO, which could become Africa's largest, is designed to let Nigerians share in the company's growth, its CEO ​told Reuters, adding that a foreign listing is at least three years away.

The ‌refinery has submitted an application for a $5 billion IPO to Nigeria's Securities and Exchange Commission, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters this month, although the final size is not decided.

"We really want to drive ​participation," CEO David Bird said in an interview. "The mandate of the IPO was to be ​the people's IPO."

Bird said the company wanted at least three years of ⁠proven production and financial performance before pursuing an overseas listing, which could support a stronger ​valuation. London has been mentioned as a possible venue.

Bird declined to comment on the size of ​the IPO or the refinery's valuation. The source said the company could take into account the $2.5 billion raised in a July private placement, which valued the refinery at about $40 billion.


STRONG INTEREST

The refinery, owned by Africa's richest man Aliko ​Dangote, has emerged as a major beneficiary of disruption linked to the Iran war, selling jet ​fuel across Africa and into western Europe as buyers sought alternative supplies. It became Europe's largest supplier of ‌jet ⁠fuel in June and July, Bird said.

He said preparations for the IPO were on schedule and investor interest had been strong during pre-marketing and the July private placement.

Africa Finance Corporation said on Thursday it led a group of strategic investors in the private placement, adding the deal ​was 3.7 times subscribed ​and attracted strong demand ⁠from African and international institutional investors.

Bird said the refinery compared favourably with U.S. refining assets because of its access to local crude supplies, ​strong domestic demand and integrated operations.


PLANNED EXPANSION

Bird confirmed the company aims ​to double ⁠refining capacity to 1.4 million barrels per day within three years, funded partly through the IPO and debt. He said the expansion would cost substantially less than the roughly $20 billion spent on the ⁠original ​refinery.

Africa remains structurally short of refined fuels and petrochemicals, creating ​significant room for growth, Bird said.

The refinery supplies most of Nigeria's gasoline and diesel demand and all of its ​jet fuel needs.

By Chijioke Ohuocha and Isaac Anyaogu, Reuters

Thursday, August 13, 2026

Nigerian troops foil advance by terrorists riding about 200 motorcycles

Troops of Operation SAVANNAH SHIELD have foiled an advance by terrorists from Zamfara into Niger State, recovering an AK-47 rifle and 398 rounds of ammunition.

This is contained in an operational report made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Abuja.

The report said the operation followed credible intelligence on the movement of terrorists riding about 200 motorcycles towards Inana Village in Rijau Local Government Area of Niger.

It said the troops of 311 Army Reconnaissance Battalion, 18 Brigade, engaged the terrorists at Majai and Tungan Bisallah villages.

According to the report, the terrorists were forced to retreat, while troops recovered one AK-47 rifle, 395 rounds of 7.62 x 51mm NATO ammunition and three rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.

“The troops also recovered one motorcycle and destroyed six others during the operation, while one soldier sustained injuries.

“In a related operation, troops responding to intelligence on terrorist activities mobilised towards Genu Village but made no contact with the fleeing terrorists,” it said.

The report revealed that troops of 27 Task Force Brigade, in conjunction with the Civilian Joint Task Force, killed a suspected ISWAP logistics courier and informant at Dallaballe Village in Gujba Local Government Area of Borno.

It said the operation, conducted on 10 August, followed human intelligence on the activities of the suspected terrorist informant.

In Taraba, the report said the troops of 93 Battalion and a Defence Intelligence Agency team recovered an AK-47 rifle and 10 rounds of 5.45 x 39mm NATO ammunition from the residence of a suspected gunrunner at Bantaje, Wukari Local Government Area.

It added that troops of Operation UDO KA raided a transport company in Aba South Local Government Area of Abia over suspected movement of military camouflage and other accoutrements.

According to the report, the operation led to the arrest of five suspects and the seizure of a luxury bus belonging to the company.

Indians now employ almost as many people in Nigeria as the government, and trade between both countries hits $9 billion

 

In 2024, Nigeria’s trade with the world’s most populous country, India, came in at $7.13 billion, according to the Indian High Commissioner to Nigeria, Abishek Singh.

The High Commissioner made the revelation in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja, on Wednesday, noting that 2025’s figures significantly surpassed the $7.13 billion recorded in 2024.

He further revealed that around 200 Indian companies operating in the West African country are responsible for the creation of 100,000 jobs, making India the second-largest employer of Nigerian workers after the country’s own government.

According to the High Commissioner, this expansion in trade reflects the strengthening strategic partnership between the two nations, extending beyond traditional oil trade and historical ties to encompass investment, security, technology, agriculture, healthcare, and energy, among other sectors.

“Very happy to report that the trade for the financial year 2025-26 stands at around US dollar 9 billion, which is up from US dollar 7.13 billion in the financial year 2024-25,” Singh said.

And that makes these Indian companies the second-largest employer of Nigerian people after the Federal Government of Nigeria,” he added.

According to Singh, Nigeria and India have had long-standing ties based on anti-colonial solidarity, South-South collaboration, and mutual support for the Global South's voice.

“When I say Strategic Partnership, what does it mean? It means that India-Nigeria relations are no longer defined only by historical goodwill or oil trade,” he said.

The High Commissioner, as reported in The Punch, also revealed that the relationship between the two countries was evolving into a “multidimensional partnership” linking the heart of Africa with India.

Furthermore, the Indian official noted that his country has extended $395 million in concessional credit lines to Nigeria, alongside capacity-building initiatives administered through the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation program.

Adding to what Singh had said, Vertika Rawat, India's Deputy High Commissioner to Nigeria, disclosed that pharmaceutical exports to Nigeria reached $315 million in the 2024–2025 fiscal year, accounting for more than 40% of the country's total pharmaceutical imports.

“India today supplies roughly 40% of Nigeria’s pharmaceutical imports, and for certain categories of medicine over 90%,” she said.

“This is what it means in practice for India to be the pharmacy of the world.

It means not only affordable medicines reaching Nigerian homes, but also manufacturing medicines in Nigeria for Nigerian homes,” Rawat added.

She noted that Nigeria could derive valuable insights from India's strategy for expanding health insurance coverage in its pursuit of universal healthcare.

By Chinedu Okafor, Business Insider Africa

Nigeria faith leaders sign peace accord months after Trump remarks

More than 50 Muslim and Christian leaders have signed an interfaith ​peace accord in Abuja, launching a new body to promote religious harmony across Nigeria.

Nigeria's more ‌than 200 million population is roughly evenly divided between a predominantly Muslim north and a largely Christian south, with other groups practicing traditional religions.

Focus on the religious divide was heightened last November when U.S. President Donald Trump called Nigeria a "disgraced country" ​and threatened military action over what he said was the treatment of Christians by "Islamic Terrorists".

Islamist insurgents such ​as Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province have wrought havoc in the ⁠country for more than 15 years, killing thousands of people, but their attacks have been largely confined ​to the majority Muslim northeast.
While Christians have been killed, the vast majority of the victims have been Muslims, ​analysts and rights groups say.


ACCORD WELCOMED BY FAITH LEADERS

No mention was made of Trump's comments in the official statements about the accord signed on Wednesday at a conference organised by the Muslim World League, an Islamic non-governmental organisation based in Saudi ​Arabia.
But the government and various other groups have been working to show progress on security since his remarks.

Muslim ​World League Secretary-General Mohammad Al-Issa said there was enthusiasm among the two faiths to "turn a new page".

"We do not deny ‌that ⁠extremist ideas have harmed everyone; all have been affected by it," he said.
Christian and Muslim leaders from Nigeria described the pact as a turning point.

John Praise Daniel, chairman of the Northern Christian Religious Leaders' Assembly, said he hoped it would curb divisive rhetoric by clerics.

"No hate speech, and no disrespect for other religious groups, ​no calling of people as ​infidels," he said.
Khalid Abubakar, ⁠secretary-general of Jama'atu Nasri Islam, said: "It is not a call to leave your own religion, but a cooperation of working together in harmony."

Deputy Senate President Barau Jibrin ​represented President Bola Tinubu at the signing ceremony. Three northern state governors were ​also present.

Jibrin ⁠said on the opening day of the two-day event: "The government is determined to make sure that we remain united as a country, despite our differences, whatever the differences may be."

The accord comes ahead of the January 2027 election, ⁠when religion ​will again be a factor in Nigerian politics.

Tinubu's ruling All ​Progressives Congress is running on the same presidential ticket of two Muslims that it fielded in 2023, breaking Nigeria's long-standing practice of balancing ​presidential tickets between the country's two main faiths.

Reuters