It follows claims by social media influencer Martins Otse, widely known as VeryDarkMan, that some anti-corruption officials were bribed to drop money laundering charges against Bobrisky. She has dismissed the bribery claim.
Bobrisky, whose real name is Idris Okuneye, was released from prison last month after serving a six-month sentence for abusing naira, the local currency. But a court dismissed money laundering charges.
Nigeria was last year ranked 145 out of 180 countries in the Transparency International's perceptions of corruption index, with bribery named more prevalent in government offices.
The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have ordered investigations into a viral video, which Bobrisky has called "false", allegedly linking her to the bribery allegation.
In the leaked video, someone who is purported to be Bobrisky is heard alleging that she paid $9,000 (£7,000) to EFCC officials to have the money laundering charges dropped.
It was also alleged that she paid some millions of naira to secure a private apartment near the prison where she allegedly served her jail term.
Bobrisky, who has nearly five million followers on Instagram, denied the allegations in an Instagram post.
"I didn’t pay any EFCC money, which is a very big lie. I served my term in full, and I came out. Discard any false information.”
In a statement on Thursday, the Civil Defence, Correctional, Fire, and Immigration Services Board, said it suspended two prison officers linked to the bribery allegations, which have sparked widespread condemnation in the country.
Two other senior prison officials were also suspended over separate accusations.
“The suspension of these officers is to allow for further investigation on the various allegations while assuring that the outcome would be made public when concluded,” the statement added.
By Wycliffe Muia, BBC
Friday, September 27, 2024
Nigeria prison officials suspended over celebrity jail row
Thursday, September 26, 2024
Nigeria urges permanent UN security council seat, debt cancellation
Nigeria on Tuesday demanded a permanent seat for African countries on the United Nations Security Council and called for the cancellation of its debt owed to international lenders.
Currently, the Security Council has five permanent members: the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Russia and China. All hold a veto on any Security Council resolution.
Addressing the UN's 79th general assembly in New York, Kashim Shettima, vice president of Africa's most populous nation, insisted that the "Security Council should be expanded".
"Our continent deserves a place in the permanent members' category of the Security Council, " said Shettima, representing head of state Bola Tinubu.
That should come "with the same rights and responsibilities as other permanent members", he added -- notably the power of veto.
Speaking to American broadcaster MSNBC, Nigeria's Foreign Minister Yusuf Tuggar said "Nigeria needs to be in that security council as a permanent member".
Nigeria's continental rival South Africa is also eyeing a seat at the top table.
Earlier in the month, the United States ambassador to the UN, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, said Washington would support the creation of two additional permanent seats for African countries on the Security Council.
However, she said the new entrants would not have the right to veto.
The Nigerian vice president also called for a "reform of the international financial system", urging the cancellation of the debt Nigeria owed to multilateral institutions.
Shettima argued "nationalism" and self-interest were undermining the fight against various global issues, including terrorism, armed conflict, inequality, poverty, racism, debt, hunger and climate change.
He urged UN member states to recommit to multilateralism to "sustain the global body's relevance and resilience".
Shettima also denounced unconstitutional changes of governments in some African countries in recent years -- a reference to coups that have plagued fellow West African countries.
The juntas in Niger, Mali, and Burkina Faso came to power in a series of coups over recent years and have pulled out of the regional bloc ECOWAS.
Shettima warned democracy was "fragile" if not supported by peace, security, and economic development.
Exxon plans $10 billion oil investment in Nigeria
Exxon Mobil Corp has proposed a $10 billion investment in offshore oil operations in a new investment push in Nigeria, a presidential spokesperson said on Thursday, citing company executives.
The investment was announced during talks between Nigeria's Vice President Kashim Shettima and the CEO of Exxon's Nigeria operations Shane Harris on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly in New York on Wednesday, presidential spokesperson Stanley Nkwocha said in a statement.
Exxon plans to focus on developing its Owo project, a sizable deep-water project estimated to cost $10 billion.
The producer also plans to spend $2.5 billion annually to boost oil output by 50,000 barrels per day (bpd) over the next few years and maintain its Nigerian operations, despite agreeing to sell its onshore assets to Seplat Energy for $1.3 billion.
Exxon is working closely with the office of Nigeria's president "to secure favourable fiscal arrangements that will make this significant investment possible," Harris was quoted as saying.
An Exxon spokesperson didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Production of oil, which accounts for the bulk of Nigerian government revenue and foreign exchange, increased by 10.15% in the second quarter, averaging 1.41 million bpd, up from 1.22 million bpd a year earlier.
But Africa's largest oil producer is still grappling with challenges in its oil industry, including large-scale theft and sabotage, despite passing a law three years ago to ease regulatory uncertainties and attract investments.
"This potential investment by ExxonMobil aligns perfectly with President Bola Tinubu administration's vision for a more investment-friendly Nigeria," Shettima said. "We are committed to creating an enabling environment for such transformative projects."
By Felix Onuah, Reuters
Wednesday, September 25, 2024
Nigerian officials seize cocaine worth almost $3 million at Lagos airport
Nigerian officials seized 19.4 kg (42.77 pounds) of cocaine worth 4.66 billion naira ($2.93 million) from a passenger who arrived at Lagos airport on a flight from Ethiopia, its anti-drug agency said on Tuesday.
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said it arrested a 48-year Nigerian businessman, who had been convicted of trafficking last year but paid a fine to avoid jail time, on Sept. 18. He was allegedly carrying 817 wraps of cocaine.
Nigeria, Africa's most populous country with over 200 million people, has in recent years gone from being a transit point for gangs moving drugs between South America and Europe to a full-blown consumer and distributor.
"The agency will continue to work to disrupt the activities of drug cartels operating in the country," NDLEA chief Mohammed Buba Marwa said in a statement.
By Camillus Eboh, Reuters
Nigeria preventive care gets boost as Hospital unveils advanced procedures
To reduce the high cost of curative therapies, Medic Partners Multi Specialist Hospital last week launched a range of advanced procedures designed to prevent medical challenges from the onset. The multi-specialist wellness centre located in Victoria Island, Lagos officially opened Wednesday, promising to assist Nigerians in navigating the challenging economic climate by providing preventive care and increasing awareness of their health conditions.
The Chief Medical Director, of Medic Partners Multi Specialist Hospital and preventive care specialist, Busola Ayelowo-Eso, explained that the disturbing prevalence of preventable diseases in Nigeria informed the centre’s establishment.
Despite a significant increase in the awareness of preventable diseases such as hypertension or end-stage renal disease, Ayelowo-Eso said many are not keen on undertaking comprehensive medical screening.
“A lot of Nigerians have this I don’t-care-attitude of if it’s not disturbing me, why should I look for it? So, preventive medicine is one speciality that hasn’t gotten so much awareness. Nigerians don’t believe in treating what is not broken.
“We still have a very long way to go in preventive medicine because the World Health Organization (WHO) says that at least once a year an average person or an individual should have a medical check-up. In Nigeria, until they start feeling ill, they don’t go to the hospital. So, until we get to that point where everybody knows that once a year, I should check myself irrespective of how I feel, we are not there yet. It’s a growing concern that is being addressed daily.”
The founders of Medic Partners Multi Specialist Hospital have invested in advanced diagnostic and treatment services to aid early detection and management. Specifically, the facility operates with advanced imaging technologies including digital X-rays, and 4D ultrasound, which provide high-resolution images that allow for accurate and early diagnosis of various conditions.
It runs a fully automated laboratory that provides comprehensive laboratory services from routine blood work to specialized diagnostics like genetic testing and molecular diagnostics, within a short time. Automation minimizes human involvement and reduces the risk of errors in terms of reporting.
In terms of kidney care, the facility is equipped with a six-bedded dialysis unit to tackle renal issues among an estimated 50 million people Nigerians who are affected. It has also invested in a fully functional cardiac unit where stress tests, procedures and other heart-related screenings are conducted.
Other specialities are endoscopy and minimally invasive surgeries where its surgical team specializes in minimally invasive techniques, reducing recovery times and improving patient outcomes.
“It offers a comprehensive wellness program where we provide holistic wellness check-ups that include advanced diagnostic tests, personalised health assessments, and preventive care strategies, helping patients maintain their health and prevent diseases.
“These advanced services reflect our commitment to providing world-class healthcare and ensuring that our patients have access to the best diagnostic and treatment options available”.
Speaking, the Chief Executive Officer of Medic Partners, Akin Eso explained that the centre will prioritise exceptional patient experience along with good practices aligned with international standards.
He emphasised that the facility is equipped to bridge the gap for those seeking quality healthcare locally, having assembled top medical expertise and technologies. This reduces the need for medical tourism, providing solutions right here in Nigeria.
The facility operates with a dedicated team of approximately 40 medical professionals and 15 support staff. The medical team includes specialists in family medicine, dermatology, cosmetic surgery, nephrology, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics, and geriatrics.
“At Medic Partners we are transforming healthcare delivery, ensuring quality. That’s why we prioritise not only providing premium medical services but also ensuring that every interaction is seamless, comfortable and tailored to your needs,” Eso said.
By Chioma Obinna, Vanguard
