Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Nigeria warns against enlisting abroad after reports of deaths in Ukraine

Nigeria's foreign ministry has issued an urgent warning over what it describes as the increasing illegal recruitment of its citizens to fight in foreign conflicts.

It comes after Ukrainian officials said they found the bodies of two Nigerians who they said were killed in combat last year.

Nigeria has not confirmed those deaths but in a statement on Sunday, foreign ministry spokesperson Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa revealed that "several Nigerians who have fallen victim to such unfortunate situations were deployed to combat zones after being misled and coerced into signing military service contracts".

Kenya has issued a similar warning to its citizens.

According to Nigerian officials, investigations and security reports indicate that some nationals were enticed with promises of well-paid employment, security work, educational opportunities or migration incentives, only to find themselves thrust into active war zones.

In some cases, victims were allegedly forced to sign contracts written in foreign languages without proper legal advice, and their travel documents were confiscated upon arrival.

Intermediaries are also said to arrange travel using tourist or other non-military visas.

Ebienfa cautioned Nigerians against accepting such offers, emphasising that they not only endanger lives but may also violate Nigerian and international laws concerning mercenary activities and foreign enlistment.

The Nigerian government stated it was working with local and international partners to investigate these cases and enhance public awareness.

Its diplomatic missions abroad have been directed to strengthen consular support and issue advisories to citizens.

Ukrainian intelligence estimates that more than 1,400 individuals from 36 African countries have been recruited to fight for Russia. Ukraine itself has previously faced criticism for attempting to recruit foreign nationals, including Africans, to fight on its side.

African governments have increasingly been warning their citizens and working to repatriate those who were deceived into joining the conflict.

Last week, South Africa announced that Russian President Vladimir Putin had pledged assistance in returning South African nationals who had travelled to Ukraine to join Russian forces.

Retired Nigerian military expert Maj Bashir Galma told the BBC that the recruitment of Nigerians and other Africans into foreign conflicts was not unprecedented.

"Even during the Yugoslavia issues many years ago, we had that problem and it is sad that our youth are falling into these traps and losing their lives to a war that means nothing to them," he said.

By Makuochi Okafor, BBC

Friday, February 13, 2026

Nigeria faces humanitarian crisis due to aid cuts



A reduction in international aid is exacerbating Nigeria’s humanitarian crisis, particularly in Borno state, where over two million displaced people depend on assistance. With several aid organizations scaling back, critical services like nutrition and healthcare are being disrupted, leaving vulnerable populations at greater risk.

Court convicts two Chinese nationals for cyber-terrorism, N3.4bn fraud

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Wednesday convicted two Chinese nationals, Huang Haoyu and An Hongxu, on cyber-terrorism and a N3.4 billion fraud charges.

The convicts, alongside one Friday Audu, were among a syndicate of 792 fraudsters arrested for cryptocurrency, investment and romance fraud on 19 December 2024 in Lagos.

They were arrested during a surprise operation tagged ‘Eagle Flush Operation’ by the Economic and Financial Crimes (EFCC) operatives.

Some of the suspects had been convicted and sentenced to varying terms of imprisonment in separate trials last year.

On Wednesday, trial judge Daniel Osiagor convicted Haoyou and Hongxu after they changed their pleas from “not guilty” to “guilty” during Wednesday’s proceedings.

The judge imposed cumulative 46 years’ imprisonment on each of the two convicts, according to a statement by the prosecution agency, EFCC, on Wednesday.

The statement did not disclose the breakdown of the sentences attracted by each of the offences of which they were convicted. That would have revealed the maximum number of years the convicts would spend in prison, since the prison terms on imposed on them for each charge are likely to run concurrently.

But the statement said the judge gave the convicts an option of a N56 million fine.

He also ordered that they undertake three days of community service and be repatriated to their home country after serving their sentences.

The case was adjourned until 29 April, for the continuation of trial of the third defendant, Friday Audu, who maintained his plea of not guilty.


Plea reversal

Messrs Huanthe g and Hongxu were arraigned alongside Mr Audu and a company, Genting International Co. Ltd., by the EFCC’s Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 on seven counts of cyber-terrorism, internet fraud and money laundering.

The charges involve N3,407,824,740.78 and $2,562,203 allegedly traced to the syndicate.

At the resumed hearing on 11 February, lawyer to the first and third defendants, Bridget Omateno, informed the court that Messrs Huang and Hongxu wished to change their pleas.

When the charges were re-read, both defendants pleaded guilty, while Mr Audu maintained his earlier plea.

Following the plea change, prosecution lawyer Bilikisu Bala-Buhari urged the court to impose the maximum penalty of life imprisonment on counts one to three and 14 years on counts four to seven.

The court subsequently convicted and sentenced the two men.


The offences

According to the EFCC, the defendants conspired in 2024 to access computer systems in a manner capable of seriously destabilising Nigeria’s economic and social structures.

They were accused of recruiting and employing Nigerian youths to falsely pose as foreign nationals on online platforms to defraud unsuspecting victims through cryptocurrency investment scams and romance fraud.

The offences contravene Sections 18 and 27 of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015 (as amended in 2024), as well as provisions of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

The EFCC also alleged that between August and December 2024, the defendants retained N3.4 billion in a Union Bank account belonging to Genting International Co. Ltd., knowing the funds were proceeds of unlawful activities.

The anti-graft agency said the defendants were among 792 suspected cybercrime operatives arrested on 19 December 2024, during a coordinated operation in Lagos codenamed “Eagle Flush.”

In a statement shared with PREMIUM TIMES on Wednesday, EFCC spokesperson Dele Oyewale said investigations revealed that Mr Audu incorporated Genting International Co. Ltd. at the directive of Mr Huang to facilitate the alleged fraudulent scheme.


Forfeiture

The court ordered the forfeiture of items recovered from four properties in Victoria Island and Ikoyi to the Federal Government.

Recovered items include 1,596 mobile phones, 43 computer systems, 194 routers, a network server, thousands of SIM cards, 126 air-conditioning units, generators, vehicles, office furniture, mattresses and bunk beds.


Bail to defendant

Earlier in the proceedings, Mr Osiagor granted Mr Audu bail in the sum of N50 million with two sureties, one of whom must be a serving director and property owner with verifiable title documents deposited in court.

However, bail was denied to the two Chinese nationals prior to their guilty pleas after the EFCC argued that they were flight risks and key figures in the alleged syndicate.

By Emmanuel Agbo, Premium Times

Thursday, February 12, 2026

Nigerian fintech Redtech plans to raise $100 million for expansion



CEO Emmanuel Ojo says the company will first extend its services to 29 African countries, after which they will consider a Series A funding round. Redtech expects annual transactions on its platform to grow from $25 billion in 2025 to $100 billion within two years, with the transaction value tripling to $73.6 billion. Backed by tycoon Tony Elumelu, Redtech is also looking to expand its equity base and introduce new products across the continent.

US Bill targets illegal Chinese mining in Nigeria

A new bill in the United States House of Representatives seeks to have the US Secretary of State collaborate with Nigeria to counter what lawmakers describe as the destabilizing impact of illegal Chinese mining operations in the country.

The “Nigeria Religious Freedom and Accountability Act of 2026” was introduced on Tuesday by five Republican lawmakers: Chris Smith, Riley Moore, Brian Mast, Mario Diaz-Balart, and Bill Huizenga. The sponsors allege that some Chinese mining companies operating in Nigeria have been paying protection money to Fulani militias, fueling local violence and insecurity.

Under the proposed legislation, the Secretary of State would provide technical support to Nigeria aimed at reducing and ultimately eliminating militia-related violence, including through disarmament programs and comprehensive counter-terrorism cooperation. The bill also calls for coordination with international partners such as France, Hungary, and the UK to advance religious freedom and peace.

Clauses 10 and 11 of the bill specifically direct:

“The Secretary of State should work with the Government of Nigeria to counteract the hostile foreign exploitation of Chinese illegal mining operations and their destabilizing practice of paying protection money to Fulani militias.”

The legislation also tasks the Secretary of State with determining whether certain Fulani-ethnic militias qualify as Foreign Terrorist Organizations.

The bill references a 2023 report by The Times, which alleged that Chinese nationals in Nigeria’s mining sector were indirectly funding militant groups in the northwest to secure access to mineral resources. According to the report, some miners in Zamfara acted as runners for militant groups, raising concerns that “Beijing could be indirectly funding terror in Africa’s largest economy.”

If passed, the bill would represent a significant US intervention in Nigeria’s mineral sector and security landscape, linking foreign mining operations to militia activity and underscoring broader concerns about regional stability, counter-terrorism, and governance.

By David Meshioye, The Guardian