Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Dangote plans major Atlantic port project in southwest Nigeria to support oil, fertilizer exports

 

Dangote Industries Limited has begun preliminary work on a proposed deep-sea port project at the Olokola Free Trade Zone in southwestern Nigeria, as the conglomerate expands further into logistics and maritime infrastructure to support its other operations and export ambitions, The Punch reports.

The project, which spans more than 10,000 hectares across parts of Ogun and Ondo states, forms part of the group’s Vision 2030 strategy aimed at strengthening its position in manufacturing, logistics and export-led industrialisation.

The proposed port would be located in Ogun Waterside Local Government Area of Ogun State, extending towards Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State along the Atlantic coastline. Dangote Industries said the facility is intended to serve as a logistics and industrial hub for imports, exports and regional trade.

Dangote Industries, the parent company of the 650,000 barrels per day (bpd) Dangote Petroleum Refinery, as well as fertiliser and cement businesses, said the port would support exports of fertilisers, petrochemicals and refined petroleum products, while also facilitating imports of heavy industrial equipment and potentially future liquefied natural gas exports.

The Lagos refinery, which has been expanding exports of petrol, diesel and aviation fuel across African markets, is projected to double its output to 1.4mn bpd within 30 months.

“The Olokola Port project is a major step in opening up Nigeria’s economic potential, strengthening trade, reducing pressure on existing ports, and supporting industrial growth,” said MD for Infrastructure and Logistics Capt Jamil Abubakar, as quoted by The Punch.

“With its strategic location, Olokola would serve as a key gateway for exports and imports, boosting Nigeria’s competitiveness in regional and global trade,” he added.

Abubakar said the proposed facility had been designed as part of an integrated industrial and logistics ecosystem intended to strengthen regional commerce and supply chains across Africa. He added that Dangote Industries would maintain engagement with host communities throughout implementation.

Apart from creating jobs and attracting foreign direct investment and, the company said it would support Nigeria’s export diversification strategy and strengthen participation in intra-African trade under the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).

Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote, president of the conglomerate, said last week he is considering Kenya as the preferred location for a proposed 650,000 bpd refinery in East Africa, shifting focus away from an earlier plan centred on Tanzania.

Meanwhile, he is targeting a valuation of around $50bn for the Dangote Petroleum Refinery ahead of a planned stock market listing later in 2026, which could sell up to a 10% stake through the Nigerian Exchange (NGX).

Nigerian army says joint US strikes kill 175 ISIL fighters in country’s northeast

Nigerian forces working with the United ⁠States claim to have ⁠killed 175 ISIL (ISIS) fighters in a series of joint strikes in ⁠the country’s northeast in recent days.

The Nigerian Defence Headquarters said on Tuesday that operations conducted with the US military’s ⁠Africa Command (AFRICOM) destroyed checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment and financing networks used by ISIL and the ISIL affiliate in West Africa Province (ISWAP), which has led a years-long struggle in the region.

“As of 19 May 2026, assessments ⁠indicate that 175 ISIS terrorists have ⁠been eliminated from the battlefield,” Nigerian Defence Headquarters spokesperson Major-General Samaila Uba said in a statement.

“The joint strikes have further reinforced what the Armed Forces of Nigeria have consistently done over the years – hunt down and kill terrorists anywhere they are in Nigeria,” Uba said.

The announcement comes after AFRICOM said it had carried out attacks on Sunday in coordination with the Nigerian government. It also follows Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu reporting that Abu Bilal al-Minuki, described as ISIL’s second-in-command and also known as Abu-Mainok, was killed along with “several of his lieutenants” in a joint Nigeria-US strike.

The Nigerian Army said al-Minuki oversaw key ISIL operations in the Sahel and West African region.

After the announcement of al-Minuki’s death, Tinubu thanked US President Donald Trump in a post on social media for his “leadership and unwavering support”.

“I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation,” Tinubu said.

The Nigerian military on Tuesday also reported the killing of another senior fighter, Abd-al Wahhab, who it said was responsible for coordinating attack planning and propaganda for ISWAP, as well as two senior ISWAP members, identified as Abu Musa al-Mangawi and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir.

Since suffering ‌major setbacks in the Middle East, ISIL has pivoted towards Africa, which accounted for 86 percent of the group’s global activity in the first three months of 2026, according to crisis monitoring group Armed Conflict Location & Event Data.

The US announced it had sent troops to Nigeria in February, in what was deemed a mostly advisory and training role, but the joint operations reported in recent days appear to signal a more active US involvement in the country.


Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Video - Nigeria housing crisis worsens amid rising costs



Nigeria’s housing crisis is deepening as rising rents, construction costs and mortgages make decent homes unaffordable for many families. Stakeholders say the country needs over 500,000 new homes annually for the next decade to meet demand.


Video - Gunmen abduct students in Nigeria’s Oyo State


Fear has gripped Nigeria’s southwestern Oyo State after gunmen killed a school official and abducted students and a vice principal in coordinated attacks on three schools in Oriire. Authorities have ordered temporary school closures as the number of abducted students remains unclear.


Nigeria intensifies surveillance as Ebola outbreak spreads in Central Africa

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has stepped up surveillance and emergency response following an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and a confirmed imported case in Uganda.

Although Nigeria has recorded no confirmed case of Ebola, NCDC emphasised that it is maintaining heightened vigilance due to increasing regional mobility and the risk of cross-border transmission.

In a public health advisory signed by NCDC Director-General Jide Idris, the agency said it is closely monitoring developments in affected countries and coordinating preparedness efforts with the Port Health Services and other stakeholders.

“Response activities are ongoing in affected areas, and we are ensuring continued vigilance within Nigeria’s public health system,” Mr Idris said.

Highlighting preparedness measures that have been activated, Mr Idris said NCDC had strengthened nationwide surveillance systems for Ebola and other epidemic-prone diseases, while intensifying event-based monitoring and coordination with state health authorities.

Other measures include enhancing laboratory and diagnostic readiness, strengthening infection prevention and control awareness in healthcare settings, and expanding community engagement and public risk communication.

He further said the agency is closely tracking global and regional developments to ensure a rapid response if the situation changes.


Ebola Virus Disease

Ebola Virus Disease is a severe and often fatal viral infection transmitted through direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids or contaminated materials of infected persons or animals.

According to the NCDC, the disease has an incubation period ranging from two to 21 days.

It typically begins with symptoms such as fever, weakness, headache, muscle pain and sore throat before progressing to vomiting, diarrhoea and, in severe cases, unexplained bleeding.

The director-general warned that early detection and isolation are critical in preventing outbreaks from escalating.

Mr Idris advised healthcare workers across the country to maintain a high index of suspicion for Ebola in patients presenting symptoms consistent with the disease, particularly those with recent travel or exposure history linked to affected areas.

He urged medical personnel to strictly adhere to infection prevention protocols, including hand hygiene, use of personal protective equipment, early isolation of suspected cases and prompt reporting through established surveillance channels.

Mr Idris appealed to Nigerians to avoid panic or the spread of misinformation, stressing that there is currently no confirmed Ebola case in the country.

“Residents are advised to maintain regular hand hygiene, avoid contact with bodily fluids of sick persons and refrain from handling dead animals or bushmeat from unknown sources.”

He also encouraged members of the public to promptly report unusual illnesses to health facilities and rely only on verified information from official public health authorities.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the latest alert has renewed concerns about the potential regional spread, particularly in countries with high levels of border movement and trade.

Nigeria’s extensive travel connections and large population make preparedness essential, especially given the country’s previous experience managing Ebola outbreaks.

Nigeria was internationally praised for containing the 2014 Ebola outbreak after swift tracing and isolation measures prevented widespread transmission following the arrival of an infected traveller from Liberia.

NAN reports that the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak linked to the Bundibugyo virus in the DRC and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning of significant regional and global risks.

The decision, announced on 16 May by the WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus under the International Health Regulations (2005), follows rising infections and deaths, alongside evidence of cross-border transmission.

However, the organisation clarified that the situation did not yet meet the threshold for a pandemic emergency.

Data from WHO showed that as of 16 May, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected infections, and 80 suspected deaths have been recorded in Ituri Province in eastern DR Congo.

The affected areas include Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu, where clusters of unexplained community deaths have raised alarm.

In Uganda, two confirmed cases, including one fatality, were reported in the capital, Kampala, within 24 hours of each other.

Both individuals had recently travelled from DR Congo, marking a confirmed international spread of the virus.

Unlike other strains of Ebola, there are currently no approved vaccines or targeted treatments for the Bundibugyo variant, raising concerns among global health authorities.